Dhaka receives 7.81 lakh more vaccine jabs from Japan
Sunbd Desk || Published: 2021-07-31 14:26:56 || Updated: 2021-07-31 14:26:56
Bangladesh on Saturday received 7,81,320 doses of AstraZeneca vaccine as the second consignment of the pledged three million doses of such jabs from Japan under COVAX framework.
Foreign Minister Dr AK Abdul Momen received the Japan-manufactured AstraZeneca vaccine from Japanese ambassador to Bangladesh Naoki Ito at Hazrat Shahjalal International Airport (HSIA) after a freight of ANA carrying the jabs landed around 3pm.
Health Minister Zahid Maleque and Senior Secretary of Health Service Division Lokman Hossain Miah were also present at the airport.
After receiving the vaccine, the foreign minister expressed his gratitude to the Japan government for the supply and said that Tokyo will send more than three million doses of AstraZeneca vaccine in phases.
These consignments of vaccines are important for Bangladesh as around 1.5 million people are waiting for the second dose of this Oxford made vaccine, he added.
Japan will send around 30.5 lakh doses of AstraZeneca vaccine, while the third consignment of these Jabs will arrive here from Japan on August 3, Dr Momen said.
On Friday, Bangladesh Ambassador to Japan Shahabuddin Ahmed saw off the second consignment of the vaccine at the Narita airport near Tokyo, according to the Bangladesh Embassy in Tokyo.
On July 24, Bangladesh received 2,45,200 doses of Astra Zeneca vaccine as the first consignment from Japan under the COVAX facilities.
COVAX, a global alliance, is a worldwide initiative aimed at equitable access to Covid-19 vaccines directed by Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance.
Bangladesh has so far received 1.2 crore doses of AstraZeneca vaccine from the Serum Institute of India (SII).
Earlier, Foreign Minister Dr AK Abdul Momen said the government has already made a good lineup of getting more COVID-19 vaccines from different sources under COVAX along with commercial purchase to ensure steady supply of jabs for the countrymen.
- Beautiful China shows new chapter of ecological conservation
- A resilient Chinese economy supports the Chinese path to modernization
- China’s vision for building a community of shared future for mankind
- China’s comprehensive framework for law-based governance takes shape
- China’s answer to democracy: Promoting whole-process people’s democracy
- Gold prices raised by Tk 2333 per bhori
- Govt doesn’t waste a single paisa from reserve: PM
- Brilliant England thrash India to reach T20 World Cup final
- PM wants Bangladesh to advance further maintaining dignity
- Country to receive $4.5b loan from IMF: Kamal
- HSC, equivalent exams begin Sunday
- Navana Pharma topped of weekly raising prices
- Bashundhara Paper rankes topped of trade
- RD Foods declares dividend
- Active Fine declares dividend
- Genex Infosys disclose first Quarter earnings report
- Genex Infosys declares dividend