Argentina beats Ecuador by 3-0 and reached semifinal at Copa,
Sunbd Desk || Published: 2021-07-04 11:37:59 || Updated: 2021-07-04 11:37:59
Lionel Messi scored his 76th international goal and is now only one shy of Pele for the South American record as Argentina beat Ecuador 3-0 on Saturday to progress to the semifinals of the Copa America, reports The Associated Press.
Messi scored from a late freekick and earlier laid on two assists as Argentina eventually subdued Ecuador and kept the superstar’s dream of winning his first major international title alive.
Argentina’s rival at the Mané Garrincha Stadium on Tuesday will be Colombia, which earlier overcame Uruguay on penalties. The other semifinal will feature defending champions Brazil and Peru.
Rodrigo de Paul opened the scoring at the Olimpico Stadium in Goiania in the 39th minute, tapping into an empty goal before Lautaro Martinez added the second in the 84th with a blast from close range. Messi, in his first match since his contract with Barcelona expired, assisted both of them.
In the dying moments of the match Messi scored Argentina’s third from a free kick from the edge of the box. It was his fourth goal in the tournament.
Heavily favored Argentina wasted several opportunities at 1-0 to cruise to a comfortable victory. Ecuador then hit the post in the second half before Martinez doubled Argentina’s lead. But Messi became more influential after 71 minutes when Ángel di Maria stepped in replacing Giovani lo Celso.
Ecuador also lost defender Piero Hincapié to a red card near the end of the match after a foul on Di Maria that gave Argentina the free kick scored by Messi.
Messi said being in the semifinals was one of Argentina’s objectives for the tournament.
“Now we have to rest and think of Colombia. They defend well, they have quick counters,” the striker said. Asked about his performance, he was brief: “Individual awards are secondary.”
- Social Islami Bank disclose second Quarter earnings report
- One Bank disclose second Quarter earnings report
- Rupali Bank disclose second Quarter earnings report
- Rupali Inurance disclose second Quarter earnings report
- Bank will lend Tk 28,391 crore to farmers
- Malaysian PM faces calls to resign after palace rebuke
- Islamic Finance disclose second Quarter earnings report
- National Life Insurance declares dividend
- DBH disclose second Quarter earnings report
- Tensions in Tunisia after president suspends parliament
- First security Bank disclose second Quarter earnings report
- Govt decides to establish 3 more new upazilas
- NRBC Bank disclose second Quarter earnings report
- Eastern Bank disclose second Quarter earnings report
- Marico declares Interim Dividend
- Dutch Bangla Bank disclose second Quarter earnings report
- IFIC Bank disclose second Quarter earnings report
- IPDC Finance disclose second Quarter earnings report
- Tokyo Olympics officially begin under spectre of pandemic
- Euro 2020 final: England beaten by Italy on penalties
- Roaring Tigers crush Zimbabwe by 220 runs in one-off Test
- Messi’s Argentina beats Brazil 1-0, wins Copa America title
- Shanto and Shadman centuries force Zimbabwe into a corner
- Spain defeat Switzerland to reach Euro 2020 semifinals
- Oman, UAE to host T20 World Cup matches
- Mahmudullah included in Tigers squad for Zimbabwe Test