Messi joins Ronaldo in 700-club goal
Sunbd Desk || Published: 2020-07-01 14:39:24 || Updated: 2020-07-01 14:44:01
Lionel Messi has joined Cristiano Ronaldo as players to have scored 700 career goals as he netted during Barcelona’s La Liga clash with Atletico Madrid.
Messi scored a ‘Panenka’ penalty to take him to 700 with 630 of his strikes coming for Barcelona and 70 for Argentina.
He joins his long-term foe Ronaldo, who netted his 700th last October, with the pair among seven to have hit the huge number.
They are the only two active players to reach 700 though with others having long retired.
Pele also netted over 700 wit Czech striker Josef Bican, who scored 805 goals in 530 games in a career interrupted by World War II, also being part of the elite club.
Hungarian legend Ferenc Puskas – 746 goals from 754 games – is fourth ahead of German great Gerd Muller, who bagged 735 from 793.
Though fans were focused on Messi tonight, praising the magic man.
One wrote: “700 Goals for the Greatest Player of All Time. Lionel Messi. Crazy.”
While another put: “Lionel Messi has 700 goals without being an out and out striker. For a player who is as selfless as he is prolific, to still be able to score 700 goals is utterly ridiculous. He’s the greatest footballer we’ll ever witness.”
And a third added: “700 FOR THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME!!! LIONEL MESSI.”
Another wrote: “Lionel #Messi is the greatest of all time. Fact. He sees things in slow motion. Actual super hero.”
While one more commented: “Both Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo have scored 700 career goals UNREAL!!!!”
Despite Messi’s superb record, Barcelona boss Quique Setien recently spoke about how the star is not all about goals.
“Leo is fine. You don’t only have to assess the goals he scored, but also the rest of his contributions, like assisting. That gives us a lot of points,” he said.
“It’s an astronomical number. I think he’s reached 700 goals and that’s why he’s the best player in the world.”Report: Daily Star
- Bangladesh receives over $1b WB financing to fight COVID-19
- BSEC issued guidelines on capital market transactions
- BSEC sent letter to keep it free from restrictions
- 96 more deaths from corona in Bagladesh
- Chittagong port is 100% operational despite strict restrictions
- Special flights arrange for expatriate workers
- EU wheat exports likely to decline
- BMBA seeks permission for official ID card as ‘Movement Pass’
- Countries pause use of Johnson & Johnson vaccine
- Hajj Ministry announce Ramadan guidelines for Umrah and prayers
- Financial institutions defaulted loan is Tk 10 thousand crore
- China opens 5G signal station at world’s highest radar location near Tibet border
- Eastern Bank declares dividend
- Continental Insurance declares dividend
- First time determining the prices of cylinder gas in country
- Capital market will remain open even in lockdown
- Pubali Bank declares dividend
- Record 83 more deaths from corona in Bangladesh
- Bangladesh lost the trophy
- Latham’s fifth ODI century gives New Zealand series win
- Barsa knocked out from champions league
- Bangladesh will visit SriLanka in April
- Abdullah scored two Russell returned win
- Shakib al Hasan back with KKR for Rs 3.2cr
- Messi scored two,barsa got great victory
- Bangladesh spinners deny West Indies control