Navy needs to be strengthened with modern technology : PM
Sunbd Desk || Published: 2020-06-18 14:07:59 || Updated: 2020-06-18 14:07:59
Mentioning that Bangladesh doesn’t prefer war rather want peace, Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina today said Bangladesh Navy needs to be further strengthened with modern technology based knowledge to protect the country’s vast sea area and its resources, reports BSS.
“We have a vast sea area-we need to strengthen our naval force further to defend the sea areas and its resources,” she said while commissioning a ship of Bangladesh Navy “BNS Sangram” from her official residence Ganabhaban here through a video conference this morning.
The premier simultaneously said that her government has attached priority on protecting the sea areas and utilizing its huge resources in Bangladesh’s economy.
Mentioning that Bangladesh doesn’t want war as it prefers peace, she said, “It is true that we want peace but at the same time we have to remain well prepared to face any attack.
So, we want to build modern technology based organizations to cope with the modern age. We have been tirelessly working to build our army, navy and air forces to be equipped with modern knowledge.”
She also said her government has formulated a perspective plan called “Forces Goal 2030” in light with the “Defence Policy” adopted by Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman in 1974 and started faster implementation accordingly to make the armed forces time worthy.
“We have already purchased many modern equipment including frigate and ships for Bangladesh Navy.
I first handed over the Khulna Shipyard to the navy.
I also handed over two dry docks of Narayanganj and Chattogram to the navy,” she added.
Sheikh Hasina said Bangladesh Navy has been transformed into a full-fledged three-dimensional force with inclusion two submarines in the force.
She hoped that the navy personnel would discharge their duties to safeguard the country’s sea areas with utmost sincerity.
The prime minister said that Bangladesh has achieved its rights in its vast sea areas after winning legal battles in the International Court against its two neighbours India and Myanmar with maintaining friendly relations with them.
She said Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman first taken the initiative of establishing legal rights of Bangladesh in its sea areas soon after the independence, but the 1975 post governments did nothing to this end.
After assuming office in 1996 after 21 years, the Awami League government collected necessary data and information regarding the matter and took legal measures after coming to power for second time, she continued.
Bangladesh Navy Chief Admiral Aurangzeb Chowdhury formally handed over the ‘commissioning forman’ of the ship to Captain Arifur Rahman on behalf of the prime minister at BNS Issa Khan Naval Base, Chattogram.
A video documentary on the BNS Sangram was screened on the occasion.
The BNS Sangram will leave Bangladesh for Lebanon on June 19 (Friday) to take part in the peacekeeping mission.
- Walton TV records 10 times higher export in 2020 amidst pandemic
- Australia to kill US pigeon that crossed Pacific
- Turkey wants to invest in Chittagong port
- Padma Bank Securities allowed to open a branch in Canada
- Exports of Walton TV increased 10 percent despite Corona
- Barsa reached super cup final lost to sociedad
- Crown prince: $6 trillion of investment opportunities available in Saudi Arabia over next decade
- Incentives of Tk 10,000 crore coming for small entrepreneurs
- 75% social security allowance will be distributed by ‘nagad’
- Price of precious metal gold is on decline
- Serum Institute to sell AstraZeneca vaccine to Bangladesh at $4/dose
- Tarek of Dhaka College receives ‘President’s Rover Scouts Award’
- BIA issues guidelines for compliance with motor insurance
- Anisur Rahman Appointed Chairman of Padma Oil
- Israeli air raids in Syria dozens killed
- The price of gold less tk 1983 per fill
- Margin loan interest will be maximum 12%
- 53 trillion dollars debt for the production of plastic products
- SSN allowances being sent to beneficiaries’ mobile wallets: PM
- Journalist Mizanur Rahman Khan is no more
- AL’s long stay in power helped accelerate dev: PM Hasina
- Thousands of billionaires are out of tax: IGP
- Crab’s new president Mizan Malik secretary Alauddin Arif
- PM for fulfilling Bangabandhu’s dream with united efforts
- Freedom ends when someone spreads falsehoods, hurt others: Joy
- Bangladesh will get vaccine in proper time: Information minister