Coronavirus: Call to prayer gesture in heart of Europe
Sunbd Desk || Published: 2020-04-04 03:42:52 || Updated: 2020-04-04 03:42:52
Nearly 100 mosques in Germany and the Netherlands on Friday rang out with the sound of the call to prayer, as a gesture of support for Muslims amid the coronavirus pandemic.
The call to prayer (adhan) was chanted from mosques belonging to the Turkish-Muslim umbrella group DITIB, and the Islamic Community National View (IGMG), one of Germany’s largest Muslim-Turkish associations.
Fahrettin Alptekin, a DITIB representative in Essen, Germany, told Anadolu Agency that the adhan could be heard from over 50 local mosques.
Alptekin said that adhan being broadcast by loudspeaker is generally not allowed in Germany, except for special occasions.
Meanwhile, in the Netherlands broadcasting the adhan through speakers is growing more widespread to promote solidarity against the virus.
After Italy and Spain, Germany is the country in Europe worst hit by the pandemic.
Germany’s death toll rose to 1,230 on Friday, while the Netherlands’ death toll surpassed 1,487.
Since appearing in Wuhan, China, last December, the novel coronavirus has spread to at least 181 countries and regions.
Data compiled by the U.S.’ Johns Hopkins University shows worldwide infections surging past 1 million, with more than 58,000 deaths. Over 225,000 people have recovered.
- IMF: Vaccine inequity threatens Mideast’s economic recovery
- India’s L&T wins order for world’s biggest solar power plant in Saudi
- All industrial factories including garments will be opend
- Islamic Finance declares dividend
- Record 78 new deaths from corona in Bangladesh
- DSE warned National Insurance for unusual prices
- Capital market in big fall
- 200 million aid to developing countries to prevent Corona
- Industrialists demand to keep industres free from lockdown
- US blacklists 7 Chinese super computer groups
- 15 kinds of border activities to be banned in Tibet
- WHO chief criticises ‘shocking’ vaccine divide
- Share price of 66 companes can be reduced maximum 2%
- Record 77 new deaths from coronavirus, identified 5334
- China’s population seen growing older in economic danger sign
- If bank is open, capital market will also be open
- Jetro expects large Japanese investment in Bangladesh
- Robi declares dividend
- Today holy Shab-e-Barat
- 8 Hilsa found in a pond in char fashion!
- Underwater is St. Martin’s main attraction, but people doesn’t see
- Turkey wants to increase trade in textiles and jute
- Dinosaur eggs found in Madhya Pradesh
- ICMAB webinar on Covid-19 and economy
- Farmers Bank loan scam: Regent Group’s Sahed lands in jail
- India-Bangladesh transshipment journey starting today