PM hands over 53,340 more houses to landless families
Sunbd Desk || Published: 2021-06-20 09:13:10 || Updated: 2021-06-20 09:13:10
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina today handed over 53,340 more houses to the landless and homeless families as a part of her government pledge of not remaining homeless of anyone in the country, reports BSS.
The premier inaugurated the distribution of tin-shed pucca houses on two decimals of land under the second phase of the Asrayan-2 project on virtual platform joining from her official Ganabhaban residence here this morning.
On January 23 last, over 69,904 homeless and landless families received houses from the prime minister under the first phase of the project on the occasion of the birth centenary of Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman.
Besides, 100,000 more houses will be given by December next as part of the government’s move to rehabilitate the country’s homeless people.
Under the scheme, joint ownership of two-decimal land alongside a modern abode will also be given to both husband and wife of each family.
Each family is getting the assets worth some Taka 2.6 lakh, as the value of two-decimal land is on an average Taka 50,000. The construction cost of every house is nearly Taka 2 lakh, while the cost of utility connection (electricity and gas) is around Taka 10,000.
Sheikh Hasina had undertaken the Ashrayan project in 1997 and a total of 373,562 houses have so far been given to homeless and landless families under the Ashrayan project run by the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO).
Today, the highest 12,436 houses were given in Rangpur division, while 10,547 in Chattogram, 7,630 in Dhaka, 7,172 in Rajshahi, 7,153 in Barishal, 911 in Khulna, 2512 in Mymensingh and 1979 in Sylhet division.
According to the lists prepared under the Ashrayan project, the number of homeless and landless families (under class-K) is 293,361 in the country, while the number of only homeless families (under class-Kha) is 592,261.
A theme song on the Ashrayan project was played at the house distribution ceremony.
PM’s Principal Secretary Dr Ahmad Kaikaus, who moderated the function, gave a powerpoint presentation on the project that he described as an inclusive development model formulated by Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina.
- Tokyo Olympics officially begin under spectre of pandemic
- Mosque in Indian capital’s Rohingya camp bulldozed: Refugees
- Danish infamous cartoonist Kurt Westergaard dies
- 50,000 phone numbers worldwide on list linked to Israeli spyware: reports
- BCB ICL Growth Fund declares 8% dividend
- Tamijuddin at the top of falling prices
- Embezzlement: Case filed against two persons including manager of Madhumati Bank
- 20 die as heavy rain hits Mumbai
- Onion imports increased ahead of Eid
- 225 new deaths from corona in Bangladesh
- Momen seeks favorable business environment in Kuwait for Bangladeshis
- No let-up in efforts to change people’s fate amid Covid-19: PM
- Main programme of ‘month of mourning’ is to stand by people: Quader
- 204 more people deaths from corona in Bangladesh
- Momen seeks UN roadmap for Rohingya repatriation
- Momen seeks Russian active cooperation in Rohingya repatriation
- US Senate passes bill to ban Xinjiang imports