Covaxin 81% effective, claims Bharat Biotech
Sunbd Desk || Published: 2021-03-03 13:37:57 || Updated: 2021-03-03 13:37:57
Vaccine major Bharat Biotech on Wednesday said its Covid-19 vaccine, Covaxin, has demonstrated an interim vaccine efficacy of 81 per cent in the Phase 3 clinical trials.
The trials involved 25,800 subjects, the largest ever conducted in India, in partnership with the Indian Council of Medical Research, the Hyderabad-based company said in a statement.
Interim analysis also showed that severe, serious, and medically attended adverse events occurred at low levels and were balanced between vaccine and placebo groups, Bharat Biotech said.
The company also said that “analysis from the National Institute of Virology indicates that vaccine-induced antibodies can neutralise the UK variant strains and other heterologous strains”.
This data, though, has yet to be peer-reviewed.
“Today is an important milestone in vaccine discovery, for science and our fight against coronavirus. With today’s results from our Phase 3 clinical trials, we have now reported data on our Covid-19 vaccine from Phase 1, 2, and 3 trials involving around 27,000 participants.
“Covaxin demonstrates high clinical efficacy trend against Covid-19 but also significant immunogenicity against the rapidly emerging variants,” said Dr Krishna Ella, Chairman and Managing Director, Bharat Biotech.
In a press release, Bharat Biotech explained the way in which Covaxin works.
Source: The Telegraph, India
- Bangladesh receives over $1b WB financing to fight COVID-19
- BSEC issued guidelines on capital market transactions
- BSEC sent letter to keep it free from restrictions
- 96 more deaths from corona in Bagladesh
- Chittagong port is 100% operational despite strict restrictions
- Special flights arrange for expatriate workers
- EU wheat exports likely to decline
- BMBA seeks permission for official ID card as ‘Movement Pass’
- Countries pause use of Johnson & Johnson vaccine
- Hajj Ministry announce Ramadan guidelines for Umrah and prayers
- Financial institutions defaulted loan is Tk 10 thousand crore
- China opens 5G signal station at world’s highest radar location near Tibet border
- Eastern Bank declares dividend
- First time determining the prices of cylinder gas in country
- Record 83 more deaths from corona in Bangladesh
- Capital market will remain open even in lockdown
- Continental Insurance declares dividend
- Pubali Bank declares dividend
- Israel’s obstruction of prayers in Al-Aqsa
- WHO chief criticises ‘shocking’ vaccine divide
- China’s population seen growing older in economic danger sign
- China accuses Turkish politicians of ‘inflating the arrogance of terrorists’ in row over Xinjiang tweets
- A Chinatown in South Korea is supposed to attract tourists, instead it has sparked anti-Chinese sentiment
- 15 kinds of border activities to be banned in Tibet
- US blacklists 7 Chinese super computer groups
- Saudi Arabia to localize 100,000 tourism jobs