Messi joins Ronaldo in 700-club goal
Sunbd Desk || Published: 2020-07-01 14:39:24 || Updated: 2020-07-01 14:44:01
Lionel Messi has joined Cristiano Ronaldo as players to have scored 700 career goals as he netted during Barcelona’s La Liga clash with Atletico Madrid.
Messi scored a ‘Panenka’ penalty to take him to 700 with 630 of his strikes coming for Barcelona and 70 for Argentina.
He joins his long-term foe Ronaldo, who netted his 700th last October, with the pair among seven to have hit the huge number.
They are the only two active players to reach 700 though with others having long retired.
Pele also netted over 700 wit Czech striker Josef Bican, who scored 805 goals in 530 games in a career interrupted by World War II, also being part of the elite club.
Hungarian legend Ferenc Puskas – 746 goals from 754 games – is fourth ahead of German great Gerd Muller, who bagged 735 from 793.
Though fans were focused on Messi tonight, praising the magic man.
One wrote: “700 Goals for the Greatest Player of All Time. Lionel Messi. Crazy.”
While another put: “Lionel Messi has 700 goals without being an out and out striker. For a player who is as selfless as he is prolific, to still be able to score 700 goals is utterly ridiculous. He’s the greatest footballer we’ll ever witness.”
And a third added: “700 FOR THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME!!! LIONEL MESSI.”
Another wrote: “Lionel #Messi is the greatest of all time. Fact. He sees things in slow motion. Actual super hero.”
While one more commented: “Both Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo have scored 700 career goals UNREAL!!!!”
Despite Messi’s superb record, Barcelona boss Quique Setien recently spoke about how the star is not all about goals.
“Leo is fine. You don’t only have to assess the goals he scored, but also the rest of his contributions, like assisting. That gives us a lot of points,” he said.
“It’s an astronomical number. I think he’s reached 700 goals and that’s why he’s the best player in the world.”Report: Daily Star
- Google seals content payment deal with French news publishers
- Final approval of Tk 1271 crore to buy three crore doses
- Actor Azizul Hakim joined Walton
- Five workers killed in fire at Serum Institute
- First of all, I will take vaccine: Finance Minister
- World is leaning towards electric cars
- India handed over the gift vaccine to Bangladesh
- Biden rolls back Trump policies on wall, climate, health, Muslims
- Trump left the White House
- 3 amendment bills placed in JS to publish HSC results
- IDRA directs insurance owners to cover 60% of their capital
- Qatar calls on Gulf nations to engage in diplomacy with Iran
- BSEC appointed observer in Alhaj Textile
- Keya Cosmetics will pay cash dividend not stock
- India’s oil imports at near three-year high in December
- Robi is at the top of the transaction
- India’s tea industry in deep crisis due to reduced production
- DSE has to submit a specific plan within 10 days
- Tigers win by 6 wickets over West Indies
- Ozil finally returning to his ‘homeland’ Turkey
- Lavello is the sponsor of Bangabandhu Bangladesh-West Indies cricket series
- Finally Shakib’s bat runs
- Barsa reached super cup final lost to sociedad
- Ronaldos milestone day Juventus win by 3-1
- Messi-Griezman scored 2 goals huge victory for Barsa
- Messi’s great goal to win Barsa