Iran builds fake US Navy aircraft carrier to attack
International Desk || Published: 2020-06-10 12:32:07 || Updated: 2020-06-10 12:32:07
Iran has built a fake version of a US aircraft carrier off its Gulf coast to use as target practice in military exercises.
The mock-up looks like one of the Nimitz-class carriers deployed by the US Navy through the Strait of Hormuz and into the Arabian Gulf.
However, the Iranian version is noticeably smaller than the real thing. It is about 200 meters long and 50 meters wide, while a Nimitz-class carrier is more than 300 meters long and 75 meters wide.
The fake aircraft carrier is seen off the coast of Bandar Abbas, Iran. (Satellite image Â©2020 Maxar Technologies via AP)
The replica carries 16 mock-ups of fighter jets on its deck, according to satellite photos taken by Maxar Technologies. The fake carrier is floating in the southern port of Bandar Abbas. Its appearance suggests the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) is preparing a repeat of a mock sinking it conducted in February 2015.
The replica resembles the one used in a military exercise called Great Prophet 9, when speedboats firing machineguns and rockets swarmed the fake carrier — actually a floating barge. Surface-to-sea missiles later destroyed the replica.
“American aircraft carriers are big ammunition depots housing a lot of missiles, rockets, torpedoes and everything else,” former IRGC navy chief Adm. Ali Fadavi said at the time.
Dr. Theodore Karasik of Gulf State Analytics in Washington told Arab News: “Iran’s attacking the real carrier battle group would obviously lead to an escalation, which all parties in the region are fully aware of. War-gaming of the 2015 IRGC naval exercise showed high casualties for such an attack.
“However, these scenarios showed Iran’s asymmetric warfare capability being low-cost and highly effective. Iran’s willingness to take the risk in the current environment is an important consideration given that tensions are high.”
- PM lays foundation stone of Bangabandhu Railway Bridge
- Regent Textile disclose first Quarter earnings report
- Take proper action against social diseases
- Media workers are fearless warriors of the Corona period
- Central bank bought 4.2 billion dollars in four months
- Government fully prepared to provide 5G services
- Padma Bridge main structure’s work progress 91pc: Quader
- Javier Mascherano announced his retirement
- Wata Chemicals disclose first Quarter earnings report
- Pakistan to provide ‘evidence’ India sponsors militants
- Some world leaders silent on Biden win
- Presidency hinges on tight races in battleground states
- Driver rams car into gate of Mecca’s Grand Mosque
- From November 1, everyone will perform Umrah
- Open season on weapons sales to Iran as UN embargo expires
- Pompeo blames Turkey for inflaming situation in Nagorno-Karabakh region
- Greece slams Turkish decision to send out research ship