UN to create global coronavirus fund
Sunbd Desk || Published: 2020-03-23 08:17:33 || Updated: 2020-03-23 08:17:33
The United Nations will create a fund to support the treatment of coronavirus patients worldwide, Norway’s foreign ministry said today.
“A multi-donor fund under UN auspices will provide predictability for our partners and help to make the efforts more effective,” Foreign Minister Ine Eriksen Soereide said in a statement, Reuters reported.
The purpose of the fund is to assist developing countries with weak health systems in addressing the crisis as well as to tackle the long-term consequences, the ministry added.
A formal announcement could be made later this week, it said.
Almost 340,000 people have been infected by the novel coronavirus across the world and more than 14,500 have died, with deaths in Italy surpassing the toll in China, where the outbreak began, according to a Reuters tally.
- Media workers are fearless warriors of the Corona period
- Central bank bought 4.2 billion dollars in four months
- Government fully prepared to provide 5G services
- Padma Bridge main structure’s work progress 91pc: Quader
- Javier Mascherano announced his retirement
- Wata Chemicals disclose first Quarter earnings report
- Daffodil Computers disclose first Quarter earnings report
- H.R TEXTILE MILLS disclose first Quarter earnings report
- Far East Knitting disclose first Quarter earnings report
- Pakistan to provide ‘evidence’ India sponsors militants
- Some world leaders silent on Biden win
- Presidency hinges on tight races in battleground states
- Driver rams car into gate of Mecca’s Grand Mosque
- From November 1, everyone will perform Umrah
- Open season on weapons sales to Iran as UN embargo expires
- Pompeo blames Turkey for inflaming situation in Nagorno-Karabakh region
- Greece slams Turkish decision to send out research ship