DU begins ‘Mujib Borsho’ celebration cutting 100 pound cake
Sunbd Desk || Published: 2020-03-18 17:07:33 || Updated: 2020-03-18 17:07:33
The Dhaka University (DU) authorities through elaborate programmes today started the celebration of ‘Mujib Borsho’, marking the birth centenary of Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman.
The programmes include placing wreath at Bangabandhu’s portrait, holding discussion, cutting a hundred-pound cake, releasing balloons and offering prayers.
In the morning, teachers, students and officials of the university, led by Vice-Chancellor (VC) Dr Akhtaruzzaman placed a wreath at the portrait of the great leader of Bangalee nation at Bangabandhu memorial museum in city’s
Paying rich tribute to the great leader, Dr Akhtaruzzaman inaugurated the series of programmes through releasing hundred of balloons on the premises of university’s Memory Eternal monument.
Later, a discussion was held on Memory Eternal premises, which was commenced by reciting national anthem with university’s VC in the chair.
DU Pro-VC (Administration) Prof Muhammad Samad, Treasurer Md Kamal Uddin, Dhaka University Teachers’ ssociation (DUTA) president ASM Maksud Kamal, general secretary Nizamul Hoque Bhuiyan, Vice President (VP) of Dhaka University Central Students’ Union Nurul Hoque Nur, Assistant General Secretary (AGS) Saddam Hossain, secretary general of Dhaka University Alumni Association (DUAA) Ranjan Karmakar, teachers, students and officials were also present on the occasion.
Dr Akhtaruzzaman said the university will confer a doctorate of laws on Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman (posthumously) marking the celebration of ‘Mujib Borsho’ through special convocation on September 5.
Nobel laureate economist Abhijit Vinayak Banerjee will deliver the keynote speech in the convocation, he added.
He also announced the programmes, taken by DU marking ‘Mujib Borsho’, which included building a sculpture of Bangabandhu, founding a research institute ‘Bangabandhu Research Institute for Peace and Liberty’, organising
International conference and publishing a book titled ‘Bangabandhu and Dhaka University’.
Bangabandhu will be given the honorable degree ‘Doctor of Law’ as he was a student of the university’s Law Department, said Akhtaruzzaman.
Besides, sweets were distributed among the students at all the university’s dormitories while special prayers were also offered at university’s central mosque after Zohr prayers, seeking eternal peace of the departed soul of the great leader.
- Shanta Amnah Shariah Fund declared Dividend
- Google seals content payment deal with French news publishers
- Final approval of Tk 1271 crore to buy three crore doses
- Actor Azizul Hakim joined Walton
- Five workers killed in fire at Serum Institute
- First of all, I will take vaccine: Finance Minister
- World is leaning towards electric cars
- India handed over the gift vaccine to Bangladesh
- Biden rolls back Trump policies on wall, climate, health, Muslims
- India’s oil imports at near three-year high in December
- IDRA directs insurance owners to cover 60% of their capital
- India’s tea industry in deep crisis due to reduced production
- BSEC appointed observer in Alhaj Textile
- Keya Cosmetics will pay cash dividend not stock
- Robi is at the top of the transaction
- Qatar calls on Gulf nations to engage in diplomacy with Iran
- To build dream capital market need everyone’s cooperation
- Delta Plan to ensure country’s economic growth, food, water security: PM
- 3 amendment bills placed in JS to publish HSC results
- All educational institutions are opening in February
- Tarek of Dhaka College receives ‘President’s Rover Scouts Award’
- Distribution of Rover Scout winter clothes in JB
- Educational institutions closure to be extended: Dipu Moni
- Ministry issues health guidelines to prepare for primary school reopening
- Experts emphasized for need of effective training in online education
- Educational institutions to remain closed till May 30