Tamim appointed as ODI captain
|| Published: 2020-03-08 15:46:38 || Updated: 2020-03-08 15:46:38
The step down of Mashrafe bin Mortaza as captain of ODI side created a void and the BCB held a meeting to fill it Bangladesh Cricket Board has announced Tamim Iqbal as the captain of the Bangladesh men’s ODI side.
BCB president Nazmul Hasan confirmed their decision following a board meeting on Sunday at BCB premise.
The step down of Mashrafe bin Mortaza as captain of ODI side created a void and the BCB has taken the decision quickly through a genereal meeting among the Board directors on Sunday. It was known that the experienced left-handed batsman is endowed the responsibility for a longer duration.
“We have selected Tamim Iqbal as the new captain of Bangladesh cricket team. Initially there was a plan about giving captaincy for a shorter period. But later we have selected the new captain in as usual way, for long term. There is no time frame about this or it is not on a basis of series by series. From BCB’s end we have chosen our new captain for long term basis,” said BCB boss to media after the meeting.
Tamim was the vice captain of the team for several terms. But this is the first time he has been selected for the captaincy role for long time. Earlier, he captained the side during the three-match ODI series away against Sri Lanka just after the 2019 World Cup. Bangladesh lost 3-0 in that series.
Tamim has played 207 ODIs for Bangladesh so far and scored 7202, highest for the country, with 13 hundreds and 47 fifties till date.
Apart from taking decision on who will be the next ODI captain, the BCB directors have discussed with other agenda as well.
BCB have finalized the list of contracted players. There will be 16 contracted players for the upcoming year. Among them, 14 players will be categorized by A,B,C and two players will be given as D grade.
The match for Asia XI and World XI to mark the birth centenary of the Father of the Nation, Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman will be held on March 21 and March 22.
After the Board meeting BCB boss also confirmed that a concert, by legendary music composer A. R. Rahman, will be held on March 18 on the occasion of the Asia XI and World XI matches.
- UNO Wahida transferred to Dhaka
- India allows export of 25,000 tonnes of onions to Bangladesh
- 17 directors are losing their posts due to not holding 2% share
- Riva Ganguly calls on Sheikh Fazle Fahim
- Health Ministry did well in dealing with pandemic: PM
- Bangladesh economy relatively in good shape: PM
- Tipu urges all not to panic about onion
- Saif Powertec donate Tk25,000 each month for Narayanganj explosion victim’s family
- City polls within 3 months of expiry of tenure; Bill cleared
- Ronaldo reachs 100 international goals
- BCB chief optimistic about Shakib presence in SL tour
- Barcelona player tests positive for Covid-19
- Messi provides ‘special’ gift to Syrian childs
- Messi joins Ronaldo in 700-club goal
- Afridi tests positive for Covid-19
- PSG again crowned Ligue 1 champions
- Child’s playing cricket on the bank of river